Advanced Young Artists is a program for students who have already participated in at least one semester of Young Artists. Advanced high school students are paired with professional or graduate student “artist-mentors” to conceptualize and complete a long-term artistic project in any visual art field (photography, drawing, animation, sculpture, film, painting, etc). The Advanced Young Artists 2014 program runs from January through July 2014.
Advanced Young Artists participants…
• Work one-on-one with their artist-mentors on their portfolio
• Work on their own projects with the help of their artist-mentors
• Get one-on-one instruction in skill development and idea expression
• See their artist-mentor’s work and work environment
• Ask professional artists questions about careers in the arts
• Take field trips to other museum or gallery exhibitions, lectures, performances, etc.
• Get free art supplies they need to express their ideas
• Brainstorm about career goals, college and art school options, internships, etc
• Show their work in a group exhibition, alongside the work of their artist-mentors
Applications are due once a year at the end of October for program starting in January. Applications are only open to past Young Artists participants.
Advanced Young Artists is generously supported by the National Endowment for the Arts.