Our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access (DEIA)
The Contemporary Austin values a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace and we seek to model these values in our hiring and engagement practices for all our artistic and educational programs. We welcome applications by BIPOC candidates as well as individuals who bring new perspectives in a host of ways. It is the policy of The Contemporary Austin not to discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status and to take action to ensure that those seeking to do business with the Contemporary are treated fairly. The Contemporary Austin aims to create a safe, welcoming working environment and doesn’t tolerate discrimination of any kind. The organization is currently pursuing a multi-year DEIA effort and seeks individuals who share our commitment to this work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Administrative and Studio Assistant, Art School
Read MoreShow Less
The Contemporary Austin’s Art School is hiring a full-time Admin and Studio Assistant to provide a mix of administrative and facility support Saturdays – Wednesdays. This position will be in-person with no work from home flexibility, and the primary weekend contact for students and faculty.
Department: Art School
Reports to: Administrative and Accounts Manager
Pay Range: $21/hour
Status: Full time, Non-exempt
Weekly schedule (40 hours/week):
- 8:30A-4:30P, Saturdays and Sundays
- 10:30A-6:30P, Mondays-Wednesdays
- Thursdays and Fridays OFF
- Process phone and in-person class registrations, transfers, and cancellations
- Communicate regularly with Art School faculty, staff, and students
- Respond to inquiries regarding class offerings, school policies, and misc. requests related to museum and Art School operations
- Monitor weekend classes and Ceramics Open Studio and respond to instructor and students needs
- Basic tech support in classrooms
- Check in and orient weekend volunteers
- Cleaning, organizing, and restocking of studios
- Work with Senior Manager of Studio Affairs to accomplish basic facility needs and ongoing studio projects
- Help maintain high standards of studio spaces
- Monitor instructor requests and set-up/clean-up needs
- Familiarity with studio art preferred, including a variety of media and methods
- Experience with data entry
- Experience with MS Office, including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Ability to meet deadlines, arrive to work on-time, and respond to inquiries promptly
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor and outstanding customer service skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Admin and Studio Assistant.” Due to the volume of applications, we will only contact candidates who are strong candidates for the position. Thank you for your interest in The Contemporary Austin and please keep an eye on our careers page for current opportunities.
Click below to access our online employment application:
Additional opportunities to get involved:
JOIN OUR DOCENT TEAM
We invite you to discover contemporary art in settings that provoke thought and joy. Our programs join art with place in a pursuit of a deeper experience, a bigger conversation, and a closer community.
We believe in the capacity of art to transform lives. We dream of a future where more eyes, ears, hearts and minds are opened by contemporary art in all of its forms.
Extending the Welcome – We want every person to feel like they belong here. Our invitation is completely open and inclusive.
Always Caring - We know that details matter. We care deeply about the quality of our work and about the experiences of our guests, the artists we collaborate with, our staff, and all those we have yet to meet.
Socially Mindful - We believe that contemporary art is a way for people to connect their personal experiences with the broader social and cultural dialogues of our place and time.
Staying Curious - We observe closely, listen intently, and inquire sincerely because we have a boundless fascination with people, art and ideas.
Making Progress - We always want to be better—to inspire more deeply, to engage more openly, and to serve more joyfully. We are mindful of feedback and committed to ongoing reflection and iteration.
Being Here - A place can transform your experience of art, and art can transform your experience of a place. We activate our downtown exhibition space and our lakeside sculpture park in imaginative ways to serve Austin.
Trying New Things - We believe in the importance of experimentation, play, and the surprise that often results from trying something new. We know that progress comes through both bravery and vulnerability.
About The Contemporary Austin
As Austin’s only museum focused on contemporary artists and their work, The Contemporary Austin offers exhibitions, educational opportunities, and events that start conversations and fuel the city’s creative spirit. Known for artist-centric projects and collaborations, The Contemporary invites exploration at both its urban and natural settings—downtown at the Jones Center on Congress Avenue, lakeside at the Laguna Gloria campus (including the Betty and Edward Marcus Sculpture Park, the Art School, and the historic Driscoll Villa), and around Austin through the Museum Without Walls program.